Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mom


Here's my Mom. She looks pretty good eh? Most of you know that my Mom was diagnosed with cancer this fall. It has taken me this long to mention it here on the blog because I wasn't sure if I wanted to talk about it. But it's a reality and something we are dealing with on a day to day basis. That's Mom's attitude "one day at a time". She is doing remarkable well in that department...she is in good spirits and is very positive and has the attitude that she will live to be 100.
She has been going for Chemo treatments since the end of October and just recently had a CAT scan to see how the treatments have been working to battle the cancer. Unfortunately, the results were not what we hoped and the tumour in her liver has grown a significant amount whereas the tumour in the colon has grown only slightly. The Doctor would like to try a different type of treatment. One that is not covered by OHIP. So Mom has to fill out some forms to "ask" the government to pay for this treatment. How rediculous is that. I guess she will continue regular treatment until the gets the "ok".
Because my Mom's cancer is stage 4, which is quite advanced, there is no cure. The focus is on quality of life. So I guess you could say everyday is a gift. I've learned to be more patient with her and focus on "the now."
A friend asked me how I was dealing with all of this...I didn't know how to answer. I don't really know how I'm dealing with it. I'm just going along day by day, being there for Mom when she has appointments or treatment. I think it's time to talk about it...so you may see more entries like this. You're welcome to make comments or give advise. The one thing I know for sure is that I have a lot of support...all I have to do is ask for it.
Thanks for listening...and if you think of it say a little prayer.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Pauline said...

Praying everyday for her!

Karen said...

Heather, Give your Mom and big
hug and kiss from me. I'm just a
call away if ever they need some
one close. She's always in my prayers.

Love you guys!